Workers’ Compensation

Black & LoBello represents of individuals in labor, employment, small business, condominium & homeowners association disputes, and education cases. The firm handles employment cases for senior managers and executives, as well as individual employees. We review severance and separation packages for employment related and benefit issues. The firm’s philosophy is to give clients the personal attention of a small law firm, competitive fee arrangements, and goal-oriented representation geared toward the most efficient means of resolving conflict. Black & LoBello has handled a wide variety of federal and state work-related civil litigation, including contracts, torts, non-compete claims, ERISA litigation, union-related litigation, whistleblower claims, overtime claims, civil rights, race, gender, age and disability discrimination cases. The education law facet of the firm’s practice includes representation of teachers, administrators, and students in the public and private sector in elementary school, middle school, high school, college and graduate programs. The firm also represents public and private school students with special education needs, as well as higher education students with disability issues.

Things You Need To Know When Filing A Workers’ Compensation Claim If you sustain an injury during the course and scope of your employment there are procedures that you must follow to insure your injuries and time off work are covered under your employer’s insurance.  If injured on the job, you MUST do the following:

  1. Report your injury to your employer. You have SEVEN (7) days from the date of injury to
    notify your employer. You must request from your employer’s Human Resources Department a C-1 form. Submit the C-1 form to your employer in person and keep a signed copy for yourself.
  2. You must seek medical attention for your injury immediately. Ask your employer if there is a medical facility they require injured employees to visit for initial consultations. If there is no preference, you may seek treatment with your primary physician. You MUST ensure that your physician fills out a C-4 form during your initial medical visit.  The C-4 form is the initial form that all workers’ compensation claims require to document the initial injury. You must provide a copy of the C-4 form to your employer.
  3. If your employer’s insurance company denies your claim, you MUST file a Request for Hearing within 70 days of the date of the letter. If you miss this deadline, your claim is lost and you cannot seek medical care or compensation under this claim.
  4. It is important to remember, Nevada is a no fault state for workers’ compensation injuries. This means that it doesn’t matter if you were negligent or if your employer was negligent in causing the injury.  As long as you were not using illegal drugs or intoxicated at the time of injury your claim should be accepted.


Practicing Attorneys

Michael J. Ryan